Swim Meet 101
Welcome new swim team members! Do you want to learn a little about the swim team, the season and swim meets? Well here is your Swim Team 101 to get you up to speed. If you ever have any questions or comments, please let the coaches or parent rep know. Thank you for being part of the swim team this season!
- The meet season starts in late June and runs through the end of July. At the end of the dual meet season, we participate in our League Championships and then if you qualify, you can participate in our Conference Championships (qualifying times are required for this meet - click here).
- Swim meets take place on Saturday mornings at 9:15am (arrive 8:30am /warm-up 8:45am) and Wednesday evenings (arrive 5:30pm/warm-up 5:45pm).
- Girls and boys alternate different event schedules on each day. On Saturdays, the girls swim individual medleys, butterfly, freestyle and medley relays. The boys swim off-distance freestyle, breaststroke and backstroke with freestyle relays. On Wednesdays the events are swapped.
- Age groups are 8 & under, 9-10, 11-12, 13-14 & 15-18 (age is determined as of June 30th).
- Order of events of a meet are IMs/off-distance free first, starting with 9/10s and run up through 15-18, then fly & breast events 8 & under through 15-18, then free & back events 8 & under through 15-18, then relays.
- Scoring for our meets is (place/points) 1st/6, 2nd/4, 3rd/3, 4th/2 & 5th/1.
- Swimmers are expected to participate in all dual meets and championships and Mini Minnow for 9 & unders (see Mini Minnow page for details). You must declare your intent to participate in each meet under the Sign-up Calendar on the Meet & Events page for each meet (choose each swimmer, then “attending this meet”). This is how the coaches know whether or not to enter your swimmer(s) in the meet. If you will be away or will miss a meet for any reason, you must decline your participation (choose each swimmer, the “not attending this meet”) so the coaches know not to enter your swimmer. Last minute line-up & relay changes that have to occur at the meet when swimmers just do not show up are unfair to the coaches and other swimmers who are expecting their teammates to attend.
- The team sits together at every meet and is expected to cheer for their teammates. All swimmers should stay with the team near the pool until the last event is swum.
- Our parents work as officials, timers, scorers at every meet, and help set up/clean up our pool and sell refreshments at home meets. We cannot run our swim meets without help from all of our parents.
- All swimmers should have a team suit, goggles and swim caps.
- Always bring water or Gatorade to meets, and also feel free to bring healthy snacks.
- Most importantly, let’s make sure all of our swimmers have fun and enjoy the season!